All Title Author
Keywords Abstract


UMCS w obiektach zabytkowych. Budowa gmachu Rz du Gubernialnego Lubelskiego

DOI: 10.2478/v10075-008-0002-z

Full-Text   Cite this paper   Add to My Lib

Abstract:

The Congress Kingdom started the practice of housing the organs of territorial state administration in representative buildings. In Lublin, the major offices of the partition-time public administration occupied two large structures situated in the northern side of the Litewski square - the city's main square. One of them, the so-called Radziwi palace was the seat of the Commission for Lublin Province from 1824, and from 1837 - the Lublin Provincial [Guberniya] Government. The other was a new building, built in 1859-1862 especially for the Administration and Treasury Department of the Lublin Provincial Government. Today the two buildings belong to Maria Curie-Sk odowska University in Lublin, the former housing the Faculty of Political Science (pl. Litewski 3), the latter - Institute of Psychology (pl. Litewski 5). The history of the older building has already been scientifically studied. We can only recall briefly that refurbishment and conversion works carried out in 1823-1824 converted the former magnatial residence into a building suitable for the needs of state offices. The then seat of the Commission for Lublin Province resembled a Baroque residence but it survived in this form only until the fire of 6 March, 1829. The subsequent reconstruction carried out in 1829-1830 by a Warsaw architect Henryk Marconi, gave the building a classicist form, which has been retained with small changes until today. The Commission for Lublin Province's palace, which was the most representative architectural object in the area of today's plac Litewski [square], influenced the form of next structures built on its sides, including the second building of the Provincial Government. Preparations for the construction of the second building of the Lublin Provincial Government went on from 1852 but it was not until 1859 that construction work started. The building was designed by a Warsaw architect Julian Ankiewicz, and the work was supervised by a specially appointed several-person committee manned by well-known respectable citizens of Lublin. Many craftsmen representing various crafts were hired for construction works. Most of them came from outside Lublin, the majority being Warsaw craftsmen, but there were others as well. Some of them came from very far, e.g. bricklayers, who were brought from as far as Russia. The local craftsmen, however, were employed only to a very small extent. Also the building materials were largely brought from outside the region. All this shows that the then Lublin building circles were weak. Construction works had several stages (earth work, mason work, finishing work). Construction was essentially completed in 1861, but for the next two years the new building was equipped, furnished and decorated, and financing of the investment was accounted for. The presented history shows a typical 19th-century investment process connected with the construction of a public building of great importance. The presented facts show the care which was take

Full-Text

comments powered by Disqus

Contact Us

service@oalib.com

QQ:3279437679

微信:OALib Journal