this paper is intended to review the history of the national institute of nutrition, an institution that marked the initial course of nutritional science in argentina, which was founded by dr pedro escudero, mentor of the science of nutrition in argentina, also creator of the school of dietetics, the department of clinical nutrition and the dietitians doctors advanced course. in 1928 he started his activities in a wing of rawson hospital, the municipal institute of metabolic diseases, which was subsequently transferred to the national sphere, becoming the national institute of nutrition. it was the first latin american institute dedicated to the study of nutrition-related activities, and healthcare, teaching, research and advisory activities were developed there, with an integrative approach to biological, psychological and socio-cultural aspects in connection with food-nutritional issues. as part of the educational activities of the institute, in 1938 emerged the first graduates of the national school of dietitians, which was a pioneer in the training of dietitians in latin america. in 1947 dr pedro escudero leaves his position as director of the national institute of nutrition, intervened by the government in 1955. since that moment, the scientific production decreased significantly and in 1969 it was closed by the ministry of public health, on which it depended. in 2005 there was an archeological rescue of objects found during the excavations that were being carried out in a neighboring construction, where the center for mental health arturo ameghino currently operates. in the school of nutrition of the university of buenos aires there is an exhibit of photographs, objects and original publications depicting the history of the national institute of nutrition.