Introduction: Ectopic pregnancy is an
emergency in obstetric wards and a significant cause of maternal morbidity and
mortality. Incidences of ectopic pregnancy are increasing. Life can be saved
with quickness and alertness. Objective: The objective of this study is to find
out and evaluate the incidence, clinical presentation, risk factors, and
management outcomes of ectopic pregnancies at Sri Guru Ram Rai Institute of
Medical and Health Sciences (SGRRIMHS), Dehradun, Uttarakhand, India. Method:
We did a retrospective study of the patients admitted in our hospital (SMI
Hospital, SGRRIMHS) and study period was January 1, 2004 to December 31, 2013.
Medical records were studied for management, total admission in obstetric
wards, total births. Data were collected with the aid of data-entry forms
designed for study. There were 4040 ANC patients admitted, out of which 202
cases were ectopic pregnancies. The relevant data collected were analyzed with
SPSS for Windows. Result: Ectopic pregnancy constituted 5.0% of all ANC cases
admitted in our Hospital. The mean age of patients was 25？±？2
years, 192 of 202 (95.04%) had ruptured pregnancies, and remaining 10 (4.96%)
were unruptured. The commonest clinical presentation was abdominal pain (162 of
20280.19%). The commonest (120 of 202, 59.4%) cause was past history of induced
abortion. 4 deaths (1.98%) were recorded. Conclusion: Ecotopic pregnancy is
common and recognized cause of maternal morbidity and mortality. It is a
recognized risk of induced abortion.
Igwegbe, A.O., Eleje, G.U., Ugboaja, J.O. and Ofiaeli, R.O. (2012) Improving Maternal Mortality in Nnamdi Azikiwe University Teaching Hospital, Nnewi, Nigeria. International Journal of Gynecology & Obstetrics, 116, 197-200.
Rose, I.A., Ayodeji, Olalekan, O.B. and Sylvia, A. (2005) Risk Factors for Ectopic Pregnancy in Lagos, Niger. Acta Obstetricia et Gynecologica Scandinavica, 84, 184-188. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/j.0001-6349.2005.00684.x
Sowter, M.C., Farquhar, C.M., Petrie, K.J. and Gudex, G. (2001) A Randomized Trial of Comparing Single Dose Systemic Methotrexate and Laparoscopic Surgery for the Treatment of Unruptured Tubal Pregnancy. British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, 108, 192-203.
Egger, M., Low, N., Smith, G.D., Lindblom, B. and Hermann, B. (1998) Screening for Chlamydia Infections and the Risk of Ectopic Pregnancy in a Country in Sweden: Ecological Analysis. British Medical Journal, 316, 1776-1780.
Glezerman, M., Press, F. and Carpman, M. (1992) Culdocentesis Is an Obsolete Diagnostic Tool in Suspected Ectopic Pregnancy. Archives of Gynecology and Obstetrics, 252, 5-9. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/BF02389600
Elson, J., Tailor, A., Benerjee, S., Salim, R., Hillaby, K. and Jurkovic, D. (2004) Expectant Management of Tubal Ectopic Pregnancy: Predication of Successful Outcome Using Decision Tree Analysis. Ultrasound in Obstetrics & Gynecology, 23, 552-556. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/uog.1061
Orji, E.O., Fasubaa, O.B., Adeyemi, B., Dare, F.O., Onwudiegwu, U. and Ogunniyi, S.O. (2002) Motality and Morbidity Associated with Misdiagnosis of Ectopic Pregnancy in Defined Nigerian Population. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, 22, 548-550. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/0144361021000003744
Uzelac, P.C. and Garmel, S.H. (2007) Early Pregnancy Risk. In: Decherrney, A.H., Nathan, L., Goodwin, T.M. and Laufer, N., Eds., Current Diagnosis and Treatment, Obstetrics and Gynecology, 10th Edition, McGraw Hill Medical Publishing Division, New York, 259-272.
Onwuhafua, P.I., Onwuhafua, A., Adesiyun, G.A. and Adze, J. (2001) Ectopic Pregnancies at Ahamdu Bello University Teaching Hospital, Kaduna Northern Nigeria. Tropical Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, 18, 82-86.
Anorlu, R.I., Oluwole, A., Abudu, O.O. and Adebajo, S. (2005) Risk Factors for Ectopic Pregnancy in Lagos, Nigeria. Acta Obstetricia et Gynecologica Scandinavica, 84, 184-188. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/j.0001-6349.2005.00684.x
Ikeme, A.C. and Ezegwui, H.U. (2005) Morbidity and Mortality Following Tubal Ectopic Pregnancies in Enugu Nigeria. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, 25, 596-598. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/01443610500239552
Igberase, G.O., Ebeigbe, P.N., Igbekoyi, O.F. and Ajufoh, B.I. (2005) Ectopic Pregnancy: An 11-Year Review in Tertiary Center in the Niger Delta. Tropical Doctor, 35, 175-177. http://dx.doi.org/10.1258/0049475054620888
Azizia, M., Phadnis, S. and Irvine, L.M. (2006) Surgical Management of Ectopic Pregnancy in a District General Hospital. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, 26, 656-662. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/01443610600913817
Gharoro, E.P. and Igbafe, A.A. (2002) Ectopic Pregnancy Revisited in Benin City, Nigeria: Analysis of 152 Cases. Acta Obstetricia et Gynecologica Scandinavica, 81, 1139-1143. http://dx.doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-0412.2002.811207.x