All Title Author
Keywords Abstract


Use of live nonhuman primates in research in Asia

Keywords: Nonhuman primates , Asia , Research , Experimental studies

Full-Text   Cite this paper   Add to My Lib

Abstract:

Background: Use of live non-human primates (NHPs) in biomedical research is a controversial issue in many parts of the world. Recent use of NHPs in research in Asian countries was surveyed. Aim: To elucidate the use of NHPs in research in Asian countries. Settings and design: The peer-reviewed literature was sampled according to the species used, area of research, research class and geographic location. Articles derived from database searches were scrutinised. Methods and Material: Studies were identified from the PrimateLit database. Results and Conclusion: Results suggested that NHP research was conducted in 16 countries, of which Japan accounted for two-thirds. About 55% of studies involved use of live animals, whereas the remaining 45% used some lower level of biological material. More than 70% of the studies using live NHPs included use of Old World monkeys. M. fuscata (18%), M. mulatta (17%) and M. fascicularis (10%) were the three most commonly used species. The most common research areas were neuroscience (44%), conservation (14%) and behaviour (11%). Due to high demand for NHPs, there is room for increased breeding of NHPs to be used for research in Asian countries.

Full-Text

comments powered by Disqus

Contact Us

service@oalib.com

QQ:3279437679

微信:OALib Journal