全部 标题 作者
关键词 摘要


A CROSS-SECTIONAL STUDY TO DETERMINE THE PROFILE AND ANTIBIOTIC RESISTANCE PATTERN OF GRAM NEGATIVE BACILLI ISOLATED FROM INTENSIVE CARE UNIT PATIENTS IN A TERTIARY CARE HOSPITAL IN AHMEDNAGAR, MAHARASHTRA

DOI: 10.7439/ijbar.v3i5.375

Keywords: E. coli , Klebsiella , Pseudomonas , Proteus , Acinetobacter , Drug resistance , antimicrobial sensitivity test

Full-Text   Cite this paper   Add to My Lib

Abstract:

The present study was conducted to track down commonest gram negative bacilli along with their pattern of resistance to antibiotics from various clinical specimens, from patients admitted to intensive care unit. A total of 182 clinical specimens were analyzed using standard techniques. Out of 182 specimens 105 were culture positive, whereas the remaining 77 were culture negative. From 105 culture positive specimens 65 (61.90%) showed growth of gram negative bacilli, remaining 40 (38.09%) with growth of gram positive organisms. In this study E .coli was found to be the predominant isolate with 44.61% rate of isolation, followed by Klebsiella pneumoniae 15.38%, rate of isolation of Proteus mirabilis, Citrobacter fruendii each accounting for 9.23%. Pseudomonas aeruginosa 7.69%, Proteus vulgaris 3.07%, Acinetobacter species and Salmonella typhi accounted for 1.53 % each. To conclude, aerobic gram negative bacilli were predominant clinical isolates from patients admitted to intensive care unit. Amikacin and gentamicin were found to be effective antibiotics against gram negative bacilli in this particular setting

Full-Text

comments powered by Disqus