All Title Author
Keywords Abstract


ESTIMATION OF ABOVE- AND BELOW-GROUND BIOMASS OF DOMINANT DESERT PLANT SPECIES IN AN OASIS- DESERT ECOTONE OF MINQIN, CHINA
民勤荒漠绿洲过渡带优势植物地上和地下生物量的估测模型

Keywords: Plant,Biomass,Desert,Ecotone,Oasis
植物
,生物量,荒漠,过渡带,绿洲

Full-Text   Cite this paper   Add to My Lib

Abstract:

Most desert soil management decisions are based on quantitative measurements of the biomass of thedominant plant species. The biomass of the dominant plant species in a typical oasis-desert ecotone (ODE) ofMinqin was measured in 82 plots ( 10 m × 10 m). The results showed that the distribution and total cover wasapproximately 16.12%. Above- and below-ground biomass of five dominant desert species (Nitraria tanguto-rum, Calligonuum mongolicum, Haloxylon ammodendron, Agriophyllum squarrosum and Halogeton arach-noideu) was measured by excavation. Linear regressions were used to analyze the relationships among all thebiomass components for each plant (fresh and dry weight of above- and below-ground biomass) and the basaldiameter, total height and canopy cover. Best fit models were constructed for each species using 80% of thedata. Our results showed that basal diameter (excluding N. tangutorum) and canopy cover were the best pre-dictors of biomass for all five desert plant species. A validation test using the other 20% of the data not usedfor estimating the regression equations indicated that these equations made accurate predictions of desert plantspecies biomass.

Full-Text

comments powered by Disqus